Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Happenings at Digipede

T
  hings keep happening! I like to keep the content on the blog as close to grid computing as possible and not let it come too close to being a company blog. But some weeks I spend all my time on business and marketing, so I don't necessarily have grid computing insights to share.

Here's a Digipede post for you:

The SIA Technology Management Conference was absolutely worth the trip to New York. I have to thank our partners (especially Stevan Vidich at Microsoft, and Dan Cox and Doug de Werd at HP) for doing such a great job of helping us evangelize grid computing (and our product) to the attendees. In addition to the Digipede booth, the Microsoft booth, and the HP booth, there was an "HP/Microsoft break room;" a place for private meetings with customers. They had built a screaming little 16-processor cluster (Microsoft CCS and Digipede Network on ProLiant servers with dual Opterons), and they were showcasing Excel Services, our software, and the interoperability thereof. It was fantastic to be endorsed by our partners so publically.

Richard and Carl at .NET Rocks! put up my interview this morning! I haven't listened to it yet (and I'm not sure I will; it's always a little strange to hear myself speaking, and I find myself agonizing over every word choice). It was a good experience, though, and I was glad to find out that those guys were so excited about grid computing. Of course, they're obviously both SETI@Home fans, and the SETI@Home perspective on grid computing is a lot different than the enterprise perspective on grid computing (I'll probably write a post about that soon). But it was fun to do, and it was good to get the exposure. I don't podcast, so if you're interested in hearing about grid computing rather than reading about it, check it out. (Oh, and I don't know if I've ever linked to these before, but I now have 3 videos up on the Digipede site; check them out over here).

Lastly, and this is a pretty cool one: the US Army Corps of Engineers is now using the Digipede Network to aid in their weather simulations. They're not doing any development at all: using their existing software and existing hardware, they're using the Digipede Workbench to design and submit jobs to their grid with no programming and no scripting. It's cool to see the Digipede Network being used to keep coastal communities safer.

Ok, that's it for the commercial. Those of you reading the feed who don't see the update on the pushupometer, you'll be happy to know that today is day 178, and I'll top 16,000 pushups (for the year) tomorrow. Only 50,000 more to go!

Technorati tags: ,