Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Duke Listens! : Weblog

Over at Paul Lamere's blog last week, he had a post about The simplest possible grid computing platform:

In his Ongoing blog Tim Bray mentions that he'll be giving a talk at this year's JavaOne called: Sigrid: The simplest possible grid computing platform. If I make it to JavaOne this year, I'll put this talk at the top of my list. There's a big gap right now in Grid Computing. There are Grid Computing APIs, but these seem to be designed for the traditional big iron apps like those used by chemical companies and Wall Street. It is hard to write grid apps with these APIs. In order to get more programmers and companies to think about moving their apps to the grid, it has to be easier to write grid apps. In particular this means:
  • Use a friendly programming language like Java
  • Be able to develop and test on a desktop system
  • Have a minimal API
  • That's a great idea, Tim. Of course, not everyone programs in Java, so that solution isn't for everyone.

    I love the qualifications, though, because they apply perfectly to the Digipede Network. Friendly language? See my post from yesterday to see a comparison of C# and Java (of course, you can use the Digipede Network in any language that has a .NET or COM interface). Test on a desktop system? I run the whole thing on my laptop routinely. Minimal API? If you haven't seen my webinar where I grid enable an existing app in 20 lines of code, drop me a line and I'll invite you to the next one and show you the coolest API known to grid computing!

    As soon as we get permission, we'll publish case studies about companies that have ported their systems to our APIs in less than a day!

    Technorati tags: , , ,