Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Gettin' It On with Excel Services


E
ver since I returned from Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference, there have been two constants in my life: I've had lunch every day (a welcome change), and I've been working almost exclusively in Excel 2007 and Excel Services.

Ihad promised one of my friends at Microsoft that I would take one of his demos and convert it to Excel Services (Why was I doing this rather than someone at Microsoft? This demo happens to be a grid-enabled spreadsheet that runs on the Digipede Network). I had to learn a lot (I had never used SharePoint before, and Excel Services and SharePoint are inextricably intertwined). I also had to rearchitect the spreadsheet significantly.

It was an adventurous week that, unfortunately, left me no time for blogging. But I've learned a lot, and I plan on documenting it all. Look for three upcoming posts:
  • What Is Excel Services 2007, and What Is a User Defined Function and Why Should I Care?
  • Adapting a Spreadsheet to Excel Services
  • Why Beta Software Is Hard To Use, and How A Huge Company Still Listens to the Little Guy
  • All's Well that Ends Well, and Why Put a Grid behind Your Spreadsheet in the First Place


  • Update 2007-05-09: Added links to the later posts for easier navigation!

    Technorati tags:
    Photo credit: andysteel